Google Display Ad Statistics
And if you have any doubt about how impactful they can be or what role they should play in your overall strategy, turning to hard data and research is always a good call.
So, if you have questions, let’s take a look at the most complete and up-to-date list of Google Display Ad statistics and benchmarks.
One of the biggest assets of the Google Display Network is its potential reach. These statistics demonstrate exactly how powerful that reach can be:
- 90% of global internet users are reached by the Display Network, including up to 94$ of US internet users –WordStream
- 64% of US internet users are reached daily through the GDN –WordStream
- The Display Network serves over 2 trillion ad impressions monthly to over 2.5 billion users –WordStream
- The Google Display Network is made up over 2 million websites, in addition to in-network apps (Google)
We know that Google Display Ad costs are less on average than Search Ads, but how much exactly do they cost?
While cost does vary depending on a number of factors— including, once again, the audience you target and your bid and budget— here’s some basic benchmark information you need about Display Ad costs:
- One site found that the average CPC for Display Ads is $1.72 in 2023 –Gitnux
- When comparing CPCs by industry, one study found that the travel and hospitality industry has the lowest CPC at $0.44 –Statista
- The highest average CPC for Google’s display ads is $1.49 according to one study, which belonged to the dating and personals industry –Statista
- Display Ads consistently have lower CPCs than Search Ads, with Search Ads sometimes costing as much as 4-5x more depending on the industry and keywords used –Statista
Google Display Ad performance matters just as much as cost— you want to know that you’re investing into a platform that works.
These are some Display Ad performance statistics to consider:
- Viewable display ads in the Display Network had 4x higher lift in conversions than display ads that didn’t meet the MRC standard –Think with Google
- Display Ads have an average click-through rate (CTR) of .60%; SEarch Ads have an average CTR of 4.10% –Colorlib
- 65% of small B2B companies gain customers through Display Ads according to one survey –Gitnux
- One study found the estimated conversion rate for Display Ads is .57% –Gitnux
- Conversion rates may be increased by 40% or more by combining similar audience targeting with display remarketing campaigns –Techjury
- Marketers who use smart Display Ads see a 20% increase in conversions at the same CPA compared to those using standard display advertising –Google
Curious how other businesses are already using Display Ads? These are the status you need to see:
- 16% of advertisers’ budgets is dedicated to display advertising –Search Engine Journal
- Display advertising was anticipated to rise 15.5% in 2023 –eMarketer
- The market for display ads is expanding at a 12% rate yearly on average –Meetanshi
- Digital display is projected to grow at a 15.5% CAGR, while search is projected to grow at 12.2%. Search accounts for 40.9% of the global digital advertising and marketing market. –WordStream
- 55% of businesses use Display Ads –DemandSage
Many advertisers understandably wonder how customers perceive and interact with different types of ads. Here’s what we know about customer perception of Display Ads:
- A user’s search activity for a specific term or brand increases by 155% after seeing a Display Ad –WordStream
- When someone conducts a search after seeing a display ad, the likelihood of them converting is 59% –WordStream
- 27% of consumers conduct a search for a business after seeing their display ad –WordStream
Google Display Ads likely won’t be the sole focus of your ad campaigns; Search Ads and Performance Max Ads are likely going to take center stage in most cases. Display Ads, however, do have some huge advantages, including the relative low cost and the exceptional potential reach (and the subsequent brand awareness).
If you’re ready to get started with Google Display Ads, you can learn more about running your campaigns here.
Looking for help running your ad campaigns? Learn more about what makes us different.